I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are entering the final three weeks of the first semester. This is always a busy time with important academic work, student performances, and the beginning of the winter athletic season.
Thank you to everyone who supported the NYA Parents’ Association and Project Graduation Wreath and Poinsettia Sale. Wreaths may be picked up at the following times in the Middle School Community Room:
- Tuesday, December 3, from 2:30 to 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 4, from 2:30 to 6:00 p.m.
Our first Lower School Live event is scheduled for December 5. This event is for parents of toddlers and children through grade 4 who are interested in NYA. The program allows them to step inside our Lower School classrooms and see first-hand what our program is all about. If you know someone who may be interested, they can contact the admission office and visit our website for details or to RSVP.
The NYA Craft Fair will take place on Saturday, December 7 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Our craft fair is part of Yarmouth Hometown Holidays, where craft fairs and other special events are held up and down Main Street and throughout the town. Our fair is the largest in town with close to 100 vendors in the gym and Safford. The NYA café will be staffed by students and volunteers while the chorus sings festive songs to support NYA drama. The craft fair is an important fundraiser for the Parents’ Association, with proceeds supporting student and faculty grants. The PA is still looking for a few more volunteers for the craft fair. Please sign up HERE.
Looking for NYA Panther gear for the holidays? Laurie Hegarty will have the NYA store open the following times:
- Wreath Pickup – December 3 from 2:30 to 6:00 p.m. in the Middle School
- Wreath Pickup – December 4 from 2:30 to 6:00 p.m. in the Middle School
- Craft Fair – Saturday, December 7 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Ms. Sullivan’s room, first floor Curtis
- Middle School Arts Night – Wednesday, December 11 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. near the Middle School Community Room
- Holiday Sale – Friday, December 13 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the Middle School Community Room
- Holiday Sale – Thursday, December 19 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the Middle School Community Room
We celebrated the arts at NYA the week before Thanksgiving:
- On Tuesday night, four NYA Upper School students held music recitals in NYA’s Higgins Black Box Theatre. Py Morin ’20, Jackie Ellsworth ’21, Pierce Manchester ’20, and Matt McGrath ’20 featured covers and originals. This is a very talented group of musicians, and it was an entertaining evening of music.
- On Wednesday, Lower School students performed Disney’s Winnie the Pooh KIDS. The students worked on the show throughout the fall, and they delivered an amazing performance in front of a packed house. Congratulations to our amazing Lower School thespians and director, Linda Vaillancourt, assistant director, Ellen Gagne, the crew, and everyone who helped with the show. If you missed it, you may view the video here.
- The NYA Make-a-Wish Concert took place on Thursday night at the First Universalist Church of Yarmouth. NYA choral groups and individual performers were joined by a capella groups from Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin. It was an amazing evening of music, and over $1,300 was raised for Make-a-Wish Maine®. Our students, under the support of Mrs. Grant and Ms. Smith, are doing very meaningful and impactful work in support of Make-a-Wish Maine®.
The NYA Parents’ Association is hosting a pizza dinner beginning at 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday, December 11, before the Middle School Evening with the Arts. The dinner, set up in Safford, includes Pat’s Pizza, salad, drinks, and cookies at the very reasonable cost of $5 per person or $20 per family. Catch a quick bite and then enjoy the art and music events! There will be a registration table at the door to collect cash or checks. Payments sent in early can be delivered to the Middle School Office. Please RSVP to Heidi Lathrop by Tuesday, December 10 at 4:00 p.m. so we can be sure to order enough pizzas.
Thanks to donations and funds raised through our dress down days, we are purchasing household items, toys, gift cards, and more for our Holiday Families. We would welcome donations of gently used jackets, boots, snow gear, and warm clothes as well. Collection bins will be located at the Main Office in the Upper School and at the reception desks in the Middle and Lower Schools. All items must be in by Tuesday, December 10. Thank you for your help in supporting this worthy cause!
Important December/January Dates:
- Thursday, December 5: Lower School Live, 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday, December 7: NYA Holiday Craft Fair, 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, December 11: Middle School Evening with the Arts, 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 17: Upper School Winter Concert, 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, December 19: End of first semester
- Friday, December 20 to Sunday, January 5: NYA Winter Break
- Monday, December 30: Alumni Hockey Game and Reception at 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, January 6: Classes resume, second semester begins
Thanks and have a great week.
Head of School
NYA ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook – North Yarmouth Academy Page, NYA Parents’ Association Group
YouTube – North Yarmouth Academy
Twitter – @NYAToday
Twitter -Athletics – @NYAPanther
Flickr – nyatoday
Instagram – Ben Jackson HOS
Instagram – northyarmouthacademy