I thought you might want to know about some of the things we have been doing in the NYA kitchen for quite some time:
- We have been recycling and composting for the past 17 years.
- We have made a “Special Sandwiches List” every year since 2005. The sandwiches on the List are named after students, two from each grade in the Middle and Upper Schools who purchase the same sandwich often if not every day. This gives us an opportunity to interact with the students both trying to get their name on the list and excited about being on the list, and also a chance to help a shy/quiet student open up more.
- In 2008, we noted that a group of hockey players were buying bagel sandwiches with ham and American cheese. There were so many that we decided to name the sandwich “The Puck.” So the tradition of having some breakfast sandwiches named after sports teams started. We have four different breakfast sandwiches, and we choose a different sport every year to highlight.
- Both of the Special Sandwiches Lists are posted along the serving line in the cafeteria.
- We purchase our eggs from a Maine source; they are not organic but free range and raised without any antibiotics or growth hormones.
Thanks and we always look forward to hearing from you!