I hope that this note finds each of you recharged upon completion of the academic year, staying safe, and making time to be active as we welcome summer 2020 to our doorsteps. In collaboration with a variety of school and state organizations, we are busy planning for the re-opening of our campus athletic facilities, and outlining the safest ways to provide summer athletic activity to our community. This work is methodical, evolves quickly, and will require all of us to adapt and overcome. Much like the ways we have battled back from scoreboard deficits and injuries, found a silver lining in a loss, and positively supported one another from the sideline, I know we will work through this challenge together and with grace.
Below is the most current information regarding NYA school-sponsored summer activities:
- The goals of all North Yarmouth Academy (NYA) and Maine Principals Association (MPA) sponsored summer activity programming center around the ability to safely open classrooms in the fall, thus providing the possibility of the Middle and Upper School fall season, in some form.
- In an effort to continue fighting the spread of COVID-19, our NYA fields and athletic facilities remain closed to the public at this time.
- The MPA has designated June 15 through July 6 as a time for all season/activity coaches to provide virtual workouts for our student-athletes. No in-person contact is allowed during this time.
- July 6 marks the current MPA approved, return-to-sport date, where our NYA coaches will begin in-person, on-campus training with student-athletes. We are awaiting MPA guidelines regarding activity expectations and regulations for this training, which all participants will adhere to.
- While some private and local organizations (i.e. AAU, club soccer/lacrosse, etc.) have already begun holding practices/games, we encourage our NYA student-athletes and families who participate in such activities to do so with an added commitment to the recommended sanitation and social distance guidelines.
- All student-athletes and families should remember that participation in any privately organized or school sponsored activity is voluntary. Our NYA coaches will work with student-athletes to minimize conflict between various school sponsored activities.
ACTION ITEMS: Please read carefully
(1) As our NYA coaches and administration prepare for a July 6 return-to-sport, it is incredibly important that we are able to communicate with participating student-athletes and families. For this reason, please complete this short survey regarding your anticipated summer activity participation, before June 25, 2020 at noon.
(2) If you have not done so already, please complete and return your NYA Health Information and Authorization for Health Care Form ASAP to ensure a smooth transition into summer and fall activities.
(3) Be sure to follow @NYAPanthers on Twitter, and check email weekly for important updates.
Updated information will be shared as quickly as possible. As we move forward with increased activity offerings, please reach out to coaches or me with questions, concerns and successes.
Stay safe, and get moving, Panthers!
NYA ATHLETICS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Twitter -Athletics – @NYAPanther