North Yarmouth Academy enjoys a long tradition of welcoming international students to the community. Most of our international students live with host families arranged by NYA or other independent organizations. In recent years, students from Austria, Canada, China, Germany, India, Spain, and Sweden have chosen to study at NYA.
1. Submit a complete application by the February 1 priority admission deadline. Applications will be reviewed after February 1, as space allows. NYA prefers you complete our on-line application, but can accept the SSAT Standard Application On-line for international applicants. Application requirements are as follows:
- $50 application fee
- Parent Questionnaire
- Student Questionnaire
- Current grades and official transcript sent directly from your current school
- Current English teacher recommendation
- Current math teacher recommendation
- Admission testing (SSAT, SAT, PSAT, ACT, TOEFL, and Duolingo are all options)
- Demonstration of English proficiency (TOEFL scores preferred), if applicable
2. An on-campus interview is preferred, but when a visit isn’t an option, a video Zoom interview will be conducted.
3. In addition to the application, international students need to demonstrate English proficiency. TOEFL scores are preferred. SSAT scores are accepted, as well. Contact the Admission Office with additional questions. NYA’s SSAT code is 5422.
4. Please note that if you plan to apply for need-based financial assistance, you must complete our application through FACTS. That application opens in early November.
5. While proof of immunizations is not part of the application process, please be aware of the Maine School Immunization Requirements.
2023-2024 Tuition and Fees
International Tuition: $41,415
Health Insurance: $2,300*
Homestay arranged by North Yarmouth Academy: $9,750
Dining Services: from $1,343
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Expense Account: $2,500 (balance is refundable)**
Activity Fee: $300
*Families may choose to purchase this NYA recommended health insurance or provide their own health insurance meeting this criteria.
**Recommended, but not required and is often used to cover other expenses like, but not limited to:
Music Festivals and Auditions
Studio fees for art classes
Each student is responsible for obtaining or purchasing their own books, as well as covering I-20 and visa expenses.
NYA is able to issue I-20 forms to assist with visa applications. The following must be provided in order for NYA to process an I-20:
- Signed Enrollment Agreement
- Non-refundable $1,500 enrollment deposit
- Copy of passport
- Proof of tuition funds
Once you have received your I-20, you must visit the Study in the States website to ensure you’ve taken all the necessary steps to enter the USA.
While an I-20 will be issued after the above steps are taken, an international student may not start school unless tuition payments are up-to-date.
For students requiring assistance in finding a host family, NYA can help. Once enrollment is complete (signed enrollment agreement and deposit) you and your family will be connected with our International Student Coordinator.
More information on NYA arranged homestays can be found here.
International Student College Acceptance
University of British Columbia
University of Buffalo
California College of the Arts
University of California- Berkeley
University of California- Davis
University of California- Irvine
University of California- Merced
University of California- San Diego
University of California- Santa Barbara
University of California- Santa Cruz
University of Cincinnati
University of Connecticut
Franklin and Marshall College
George Mason University
Hobart William Smith Colleges
University of Iowa
Johns Hopkins University
University of Kent
King’s College- London
Lake Forest College
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics
University of Maine
University of Manchester
University of Massachusetts- Lowell
Miami University (OH)
Michigan State University
University of New England
University of New Hampshire
New York University
University of the Pacific
Penn State University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
Saint John’s College
Saint Lawrence University
Sarah Lawrence College
Savannah College of Art and Design
School of the Museum of Fine Arts
Stony Brook University
University of Toronto
University College Dublin
Wake Forest University
University of Washington, Seattle
Washington State University
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
University of York