Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Minimum System Requirements for North Yarmouth Academy Grades 7-12
The BYOD program at NYA has two levels of functionality
- Minimally the device will access the Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications online using a web browser
- A higher level of functionality exists when a student installs the local versions of the applications (this is offered free to all students)
In a nutshell, device types that meet the criteria for the BYOD program include most laptops and tablet devices (see system requirements below), along with a physical keyboard. The device needs to have an up-to-date web browser installed and decent battery life.
Phones are not an acceptable device for this program.
1. Browser only access to all tools:
Any current version mobile browser supported by Microsoft may be used, including the Intune Managed Browser.
- Safari, Chrome, and Firefox: Office 365 is designed to work with the current version of the Safari, Chrome, and Firefox browsers.
- Microsoft Edge: Office 365 is designed to work with the latest version of the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Internet Explorer: Office 365 is designed to work with Internet Explorer 11. We recommend that you upgrade to Internet Explorer 11, if you are using an earlier version. Office 365 might continue to work with versions of Internet Explorer other than Internet Explorer 11, but Office 365 can’t provide any guarantees.
2. Installed versions of all tools
- Windows: Office Mobile applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook Mail, and Outlook Calendar) require Windows 10.
- iOS: Office for iPad® requires iOS 8.0 or later. Office for iPad Pro™ requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Android: Office for Android™ can be installed on tablets and phones that meet the following criteria: running Android KitKat 4.4 or later version and have an ARM-based or Intel x86 processor.
|Computer and processor||PC: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
Mac: Intel processor
|Memory||PC: 2 GB RAM
Mac: 4 GB RAM
|Hard disk||PC: 3.0 GB of available disk space
Mac: 6 GB of available disk space. HFS+ hard disk format (also known as Mac OS Extended or HFS Plus)
|Display||PC: 1024 x 768 1024 by 768 screen resolution
Mac: 1280 x 800 1280 by 800 screen resolution
|Graphics||PC: Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX 10 graphics card.|
|Operating system||PC: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server 2008 R2
Mac: Mac OS X 10.10 or later
For the best experience, use the latest version of any operating system.
|Browser||The current version of Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox. Get more details.|
|.NET version||PC: .NET 3.5 required. Some features may require .NET 4.0, 4.5, or 4.6 CLR to also be installed.|
If you have additional questions please email Christopher Mazzurco, Director of Information Technology, at firstname.lastname@example.org