It is hard to believe we are in our final month of the school year! These final weeks are packed with activity and special events. Check out information on upcoming events below and stay tuned for updates on the numerous happenings throughout the weeks ahead.
Head of Lower and Middle Schools
MDA HOP-A-THON AND PAJAMA DAY CHALLENGE
Wednesday, May 10 will be a special day at NYA. While the Middle School is hosting the Special Olympics of Maine Motor Activities at the ice arena, the Lower School will take part in a Hop-A-Thon in support of the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Lower School students and teachers will gather on the turf field to hop, skip, jump, and play! We hope to raise awareness about others who may not have the same capabilities and also raise funds to donate to MDA. Teachers will be reading various books about children with disabilities to begin the conversation and explain the purpose of the Hop-A-Thon. We will have a collection jar by Miss Jen’s desk to accept donations. If we are able to raise over $100 for MDA, we will celebrate with a Pajama Day for the entire Lower School on Tuesday, May 16. Thank you for your support!
UPCOMING LOWER SCHOOL FIELD TRIPS
- On Monday, May 8, students in grades one through three will head down to Merrill Auditorium in Portland for a special school-time performance of Elephant & Piggie’s “We Are In A Play!”. This musical extravaganza is based on Mo Willem’s award-winning books. The audience will be treated to singing and dancing in this interactive presentation.
- On Friday, May 19, the fourth graders will join together with a group of eleventh graders for an exciting trip to the Museum of Science in Boston. They will depart from the NYA ice arena at 7:45 a.m. and travel by coach bus to the museum. They will have several hours to explore the exhibits, attend the Fantastic Forces presentation, and have lunch before heading back to NYA (ETA of 5:00 p.m.). Students should dress in orange and black, wear comfortable shoes, bring a sweatshirt or light jacket, and pack a lunch, snack, and water bottle. It should be an amazing trip!
- Also on Friday, May 19, students in Primary through Grade Three will celebrate Arbor Day! The classes will walk down to Royal River Park to take part in Yarmouth’s Arbor Day festivities. The Yarmouth Tree Committee, Librarian, and Tree Warden will be on hand, and the children will have the chance to visit various stations for activities such as painting plant pots, hearing stories, learning about composting, and planting a tree! Students should wear relaxed dress and comfortable shoes for this outing.
- On Tuesday, May 23, students in grades one through four will hear from internationally acclaimed storyteller Antonio Rocha at Chickens and Crocodiles: Silly Stories for A Child’s Imagination at The Public Theater in Lewiston. Mr. Rocha has performed on six continents across the globe and delights children with his one person shows involving stories, mime, and audience participation.
- On Friday, May 26, the Primary classes will have their annual Beach Day! Together with parent volunteers, they will head to the beach at Winslow Park in Freeport to enjoy a picnic and an afternoon of sun, sand, and fun.
LOWER SCHOOL ICE CREAM SOCIAL
We will host a Lower School Ice Cream Social on Thursday, May 18 from 2:30 to 4:00 pm. We will gather in the playground area (weather permitting) to play, socialize, and enjoy ice cream treats. This event is for all current Lower School families as well as new families who have been accepted for the 2017-2018 school year. For families who are not able to attend, After Care will be offered at the usual times.
LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Mark your calendars — Friday, June 2, is our final day of the school year! Students will enjoy special events within their classrooms during the morning. These activities will conclude at 11:00 am, and children should be picked up at that time. We invite parents and students to join the entire NYA community for a cook-out and fun-filled activities that afternoon. There will be a variety of stations located throughout the campus, including a bouncy house, games, a giant slip and slide, music, various charity fundraising activities, and a cookout. Please note that the cookout will begin between 12:00 and 12:30 p.m., and families may want to be prepared with snacks. The Fun Day festivities will conclude at 2:00 pm, and Lower School parents and students are welcome to stay as long as they would like. We look forward to celebrating the end of the school year with you!
END-OF-LOWER-SCHOOL OUTING FOR FOURTH GRADE STUDENTS
On Tuesday, May 30, the fourth grade students will enjoy a special outing to celebrate their time in the NYA Lower School. The students will head out around 12:00 p.m. with Ellen Gagne and Danielle Barschdorf, Middle School Science Teacher and Experiential Education Coordinator. They will begin their afternoon with a variety of cooperative games and challenges at Camp Soci and then have some fun at Sandy Point Beach on Cousins Island. They will enjoy an ice cream treat as they head back to campus around 2:30. We are looking forward to this time to celebrate together!
DRAFT CAMPUS MASTER PLAN PRESENTATION
Representatives from Scott Simons Architects will be on campus to present a draft of a campus master plan for community feedback and discussion. This meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 9 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the Middle School Community Room.
JUNE 15! ATTENTION RETURNING FAMILIES!
June 15 is the deadline for several forms required for the 2017-2018 school year, including health forms and off-campus travel and athletic participation release forms. All forms and instructions can be found at Returning Family Forms on our website. You can also reach this page from the dropdown menu under the ‘Parents’ tab on NYA’s homepage. Thank you for completing these forms by the due dates. It is a tremendous help to our faculty and staff!
FOR YOUR PLANNING:
|5/8||Grades 1-3 Field Trip to Elephant & Piggie’s “We Are In A Play!”, Merrill Auditorium, Portland||10:00 a.m.|
|5/9||Campus Master Plan meeting with Scott Simons Architect, Middle School Community Room||5:30 p.m.|
|5/10||Middle School Special Olympics, NYA Ice Arena||10:30 a.m.|
|5/10||Lower School Muscular Dystrophy Association Hop-A-Thon, Lewis Field||10:15 a.m.|
|5/12||Lower School Grandparents’ Day|
|5/16||MDA Hop-A-Thon Pajama Day|
|5/18||Lower School Ice Cream Social, NYA Playground||2:30-4:00 p.m.|
|5/19||Primary-Grade 3 Arbor Day Celebration, Royal River Park, Yarmouth|
|5/19||Grade 4 Field Trip to Museum of Science, Boston||7:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|5/23||Grades 1-4 Field Trip to Chickens and Crocodiles, the Public Theater, Lewiston||9:30 a.m.|
|5/26||Primary Class Beach Trip|
|5/29||Memorial Day||NO SCHOOL|
|5/30||Fourth Grade Field Trip to Camp Soci, Cousins’ Island|
|6/2||Last Day of School||8:00-11:00 a.m.|
|6/2||NYA Cookout and Fun Day||11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.|
|6/4||NYA Commencement, Front Lawn||2:00 p.m.|
|6/15||Returning Families Forms Due|